Semaphore for Apache Solr
Semaphore Enterprise Semantic Platform Delivers Semantic Search
Semaphore has been integrated with a number of enterprise search applications, including the Google Search Appliance (GSA), Apache Solr, and Microsoft FAST and others, to add semantic processing capabilities to these search engines to provide:
- Accurate and consistently applied metadata and classification
- An ontology-driven solution that improves findability.
- A better search-navigation experience, whatever the search engine.
Benefits of Apache Solr Solution
Enhancing Apache Solr's Native Search
Semaphore's enhanced search capabilities add a layer of content findability on top of Lucene/Solr's native search to solve real business challenges.
Enhancing Solr with Semaphore’s Automated Metadata and Ontology Information
Solr has the capability to deliver advanced metadata search and faceted navigation. However, the quality of the navigation is dependent on the quality of the metadata in the index. Implementations will often make use of structural metadata - things like content format or last modified date, but go no further in exploiting Solr's metadata handling. If the content is not managed directly in your organization, manually adding metadata to the source of thousands or even millions of items is not an option. Semaphore automatically and accurately adds metadata to drive facet filters, surrounds topics with signpost terms, and provides intelligent links and recommendations between topics.
The Semaphore Enterprise Semantic Platform automates the addition of quality metadata to Apache Solr allowing you to
- Tag each page in the index with a Subject (sourced from a taxonomy of ontology), where the subject tag is not just a mention of the subject but a comprehensive and accurate rule-based classification that has assessed the content and determined if enough text evidence is included to confidently return one or more subject tags.
- Tag each page with relevant entities identified in the content, including People, Places, Companies, and several more entity types.
- Identify and normalize existing "buried metadata" to authoritative lists, for example identifying any variants of required Security Classifications (e.g. Confidential) or sensitivity markers (e.g. Private) in headers, matching them to an agreed list and adding as a specific document metadata field for subsequent search filtering.
The Semaphore Enterprise Semantic Platform also provides ontology information that further enhances Solr’s search capability.
Enhancing Solr with Semaphore's Exceptional Search Interface
Solr delivers the search engine and organizations are expected to create their own search interface. The Semaphore Search Application Framework connects seamlessly to the Solr engine and can be deployed in hours, converting Solr into a compelling, intuitive search application that helps users find, discover and re-use their information.